Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fearless Creativity

So here I am. My first blog entry.  Like starting a new journal, I always have a slight hesitation to write something on that first page.   Why is that?  Well, I've never liked my handwriting for a start.  But is it a level of self-consciousness perhaps? Perfectionism? Fear that what I have to say may not be considered valid?  


True that the very thought of blogging your own thoughts publically as though others may get something out of them, may be a little narcissistic... or is it?  Perhaps to continue to think like that is the very "full-stop" of creative flow.


One thing I am learning is about the process of "Fearless Creativity". 
What if creativity and expression really could be fearless?


I believe that the world was created.  I know, that statement alone leaves me wide open for debate among the masses.  But taking that notion even further, I also believe that we have been created in the image of The Creator.   I believe that every person has an essence of some kind of creative expression in them. EVERY PERSON, whether realised or dormant, has the propensity for soul-satisfying creativity.  The only hindrance is usually fear. Fear of failure. Fear of judgement... the list goes on.


Try it. Grab yourself a big blank canvas.  Splodge up your paint brush with colour.
Now... Where do you put it!? Where will that brush touch down? What will you paint?
Sometimes, it's not about Art. It's about fear-defying.  JUMP IN THERE with your little paint brush!? Who said it had to hang in the Louvre? Have fun! Create something unique! Freedom hangs in the balance!  (Throw it out afterwards if you have to!) but don't let fear rob you of that joyous and wreckless abandon, that pleasure of creating.


It was a few years ago that this revelation first hit me.  If creativity is what makes me feel most alive, then luxuriate in it.  If mothering, mother creatively. If running a business, (which I was at the time) do it creatively.  Spend your creativity, like a millionaire intent on going broke. Lavish it around. Be wreckless with it.  Don't live in fear of the critics. What you have to say is unique to you. If it resonates with others, that's great!  If not, you've lost nothing, AND gained your creative freedom.


St Iranaeus, an old French Saint said in about 185AD,
"The Glory of God is man fully alive."
I think he was onto something.
:-)

6 comments:

  1. Love it Amy! And welcome to the Blogosphere...and all it's addictive qualities : )

    You're a wise woman, I look forward to reading more about what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    Welcome to the blog gang. Love the creative message here, it's so true and when it's embraced there is a real freedom to be yourself. You can come out of a shell and express who and what you are. AWESOME.

    I have a blog too, your very welcome to come and have a look.

    Cheers
    Sally
    Blog at: sallynapthali.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! Welcome to blogland :)

    Love what you said about being creative and just doing it - I've been thinking similar thoughts this week, and you have just inspired me to pick up some art supplies as soon as exams are over!

    Love Katrina
    xx
    www.feathersandcupcakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi beautiful,

    Had a good look at your blog last night- during the 2am feed.

    Love it!!!

    Kisses to you,

    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amy!

    What fabulous sentiments. Bravo you ☺.

    I just found you through the gorgeous Emma. Hobart mums unite! Welcome to the blogosphere. It's a glorious place.

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree entirely. Journey, not destination. Process, not product. My blog is newish too - it's been great for my creativity, and great to look back over old posts when I'm feeling UNcreative, to remind myself of how productive I can be!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my world!
Please leave me a message...
You'll make my day! x