Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lambs, Bunnies & Eggs!

Yummy buttery hot cross buns...
...chocolate (bien sur!) & fresh coffee... MMMMmmm....
... damp grass, smoke from a few chimneys...
 ...and that crisp air that stings your lungs, 
as the biting sun warms you through.  
  
It's Good Friday, and I'm snuggled in with my family doing cosy Eastery things!

Beth's gifts...
Bethany has made lots of cute little cardboard baskets that we filled with mini eggs to give to her friends.

Hot on MY to-do list today however is to make Marshmallow Bunnies! I tried to make them yesterday, but got distracted and overwhipped the marshmallow! The kids had fun eating the blobby white mass, but I shall "Take #2" today - trying to get mine as cute as the ones on Brisbane Baker's blog!

This afternoon, we'll eat the Osterlamm Cake given to us by a beautiful German friend, Martina. Hacking into this gorgeous Easter Lamb feels so barbaric (!!!) *cringe* -but I'm guessing it's meant to be as a symbol of Jesus' innocent death on my behalf...? That I partake in for the joy of that TASTY TASTY butter cake goodness!!  Mmmm.... Martina's an AMAZING cook!

Joely my little 'Artiste'!
OOh! I have to tell you... We had a super-fun day yesterday with my gorgeous American sister-in-law-to-be, Liz. She suggested we dye eggs for fun (the kids were home from school!). So our adventure began as we set about trying to buy "white eggs" like they have in America!?  Needless to say... After much shopping and googling, we learnt that the type of chicken determines the egg colour - alas the pretty-white-egg-laying types are all far away from us, and we Australians are stuck with the not-so-cute brown kind!! 

(I must add that Beth's hands still look like they've been 70's tie-dyed!! Hilarious!)

NEVER FEAR - we discovered if you hard-boil them in vinegar water, you can then wipe them over with paper towel and more vinegar, and most of the brown comes off, making the eggs more receptive to pretty dye colours!  The kids drew on them with coloured crayons, and then we held them in food-coloured vinegar water, dried them off and wiped them over with oil to make them shiny! The kids had a creative blast, and the Easter Bunny Liz, plans to hide them in the garden tomorrow for the kids to find! 

Chris and the kids excitedly gave me my Easter Eggs early - last Sunday! (Not sure what the "Easter Police" would have to say about that! ;-b Hehe!! ...but I'm one happy accomplice to said rule-bending!!)

For years I’ve been collecting these gorgeous hand-painted eggs from here and there. My loved ones find them for me for special occasions, of which Easter is one... They’re such cheery looking things! And I love them so much, they stay on the table year-round!


I do love the sentiment behind the giving of  eggs! Fertile with possibilities, and a symbol of new life about to begin.  
*HOPE*
To quote from one of Paul's letters to the church of Corinth ...

“Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”

Soooooo beautiful and breathtakingly simple.

Life’s good, and God’s provision for our humanity is incredible!   
Love beyond love, and Life beyond life.   

Happy Easter to you... And Happy Life too!
So much love, 
Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my world!
Please leave me a message...
You'll make my day! x